The online market is constantly growing, year after year. For e-commerce businesses, this means more competition and a fierce battle for consumers. Yet, despite all of that, e-commerce businesses manage to thrive.
Not everyone will make it, though, but the e-commerce industry wouldn’t be one of the fastest-growing industries in the word if there wasn’t any consumer interest or demand. Today, e-commerce sales experienced an 18% increase from the year before accounting for $3.5 billion of global retail sales.
The key to success in the e-commerce industry is customer engagement. One of the main reasons consumers prefer to shop online is that it’s convenient, as they can do their shopping at any time of the day.
The better the experience you provide for your customers, the more engaged they’ll be. However, providing such an experience may sound easier than it actually is. Therefore, here are a few tips on how to boost customer engagement for your e-commerce site.
Understand your audience
Knowing what your customers want is vital for boosting their engagement. As you may already know, the e-commerce business is no longer about simply providing products to shoppers. It’s also about providing an exceptional service and support, as well as the overall experience.
As mentioned before, the market is constantly growing and becoming more competitive. If consumers don’t like the experience in one store, they’ll simply move on to the next one. Therefore, understanding your customers is crucial. Here are a few things you should learn about your target audience and you can learn it via market research.
- Identify your target audience.
- Determine their demographics.
- Understand their preferences, needs and expectations.
- Understand the trends they’re following and how they affect their purchasing decisions.
- Develop customer personas.
Provide a seamless browsing experience
An e-commerce business is one large online store. The key to ensuring you’ll have as many conversions as possible is to ensure that your online visitors will stay and explore your website further. That’s why you must provide a seamless browsing experience. For instance, page loading time and overall website speed are vital factors for customer experience.
Knowing what your customers want is vital for boosting results in a 16% decrease in customer satisfaction and a 7% decrease in conversion rates. That’s why you should consider implementing an effective fiber internet solution. Aside from speed and page loading time, here are a few more factors that affect customer experience on your website.
- Responsiveness and mobile-friendliness.
- Seamless navigation – Your products must be organized, categorized and easy to find.
- Informative and educational content.
- Proper security measures, especially on the checkout page.
- Transparent and visible policies.
- Lack of errors, missing pages and redirects.
Provide top-quality content
As you may already be aware, consumers prefer to do a bit of research before they decide to purchase anything. If you want to boost customer engagement on your site, you must provide them with adequate content.
However, the content you make must be of top-quality and highly relevant to your customers. In essence, you must help customers familiarize themselves with the products you have to offer.
It’s also a good idea to complement your site with a blog so that you can provide more content and help customers solve any issues they may have or provide answers to any relevant questions. Here are a few facts about content to keep in mind.
- Your content should be informative, educational and entertaining.
- Use various formats to make content engaging.
- Stunning images and videos can boost customer engagement by 37%.
- Product videos are very helpful – 90% of consumers claim product and demo videos help in their decision-making process while 64% of consumers are more willing to buy after watching such a video.
- Consumers are able to follow instructions 323% more efficiently if instructions contain visuals.
- Quality content makes you an industry expert and a trustworthy source.
- A lot of consumers prefer self-service features so provide them with content, such as a knowledgebase or a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page.
Improve customer service and support
As mentioned before, nowadays customer engagement depends on the service, support and the overall experience you provide to your customers. Customer service and support are arguably the most important factors when it comes to their satisfaction.
We mentioned self-service for customers who want to try and find a solution on their own. However, eventually, even those who prefer self-service may contact your customer service and support for further assistance. Providing seamless assistance to your customers is the key to their engagement. That being said, here are a few things you should do to improve your service and support features.
- Provide assistance throughout various channels, such as social media, phone, email, etc.
- Enable a live-chat feature on your website.
- Respond on time and in an orderly manner to negative feedback.
- Ask consumers for feedback on how to improve your efforts.
- Be available to consumers 24/7 – You can achieve this with a chatbot feature, for instance.
Boosting customer engagement on your e-commerce website can be a challenging task. However, it’s in your best interest, as well as in the best interest of your customers to be able to meet and even exceed their expectations. The more effort you put in this, the more engaged and loyal your customers will be.